- On Once in a LIVEtime, who is playing the acoustic guitar and piano at the beginning of The Crimson Sunrise? faq id: 211
MP: Both the Acoustic Guitar and Piano are part of a Pre-recorded intro tape. We've done the same throughout our career with Metropolis, Pull Me Under and even Regression. The reason is to help build the anticipation and excitement at the start of the show (or encore) and to have a more exciting entrance when we arrive on the stage. It has nothing to do with “not being able” to play those intros, as we have played each one of these songs both ways throughout our career.
- What stuff was originally planned for 5 Years in a LIVEtime but had to be cut? Why was the third verse of Voices cut from the video? faq id: 212
MP: Essentially, it was a time problem. The label instructed me to deliver a video not a *second* over 120 minutes. My initial cut was around 150 minutes, so I needed to trim that. What I chopped onto the cutting room floor from that first cut was:
1. Caught in a Web/ Drum Solo (WOWOW Broadcast - Japan 1995)
2. Guitar Solo/ Paradigm Shift (OIALT version - Paris 1998)
3. The Silent Man (Electric Version - Rotterdam FC Show 1998)
4. New Millennium (From the DP/ELP/DT Tour - Summer 1998)
After those cuts, I ended up with roughly 123 minutes...which meant I needed to be *very* specific about where I was going to lose those few extra minutes.
That is where I made the decision to lose:
1. The intro to “To Live Forever” (afterall, it was already on the “Live in Tokyo” video...and I knew this version would end up in its entirety on the '98 FC Xmas CD)
2. The intro to “Voices” and
3. The 3rd Verse to “Voices” (I figured that this was one of the songs that was doubling over onto the OIALT CD and the 5YIALT video - even though different versions - so at least the CD version would be un-cut.......and to be brutally honest, I thought James sang that verse like s*** anyways!) :-p And I may be wrong here, because I'm doing this off the top of my head - but I may have edited the middle section of 6:00 as well(?) I figured the Japan WOWOW footage was the first to be trimmed because most hardcore Dream Theater fans would have had it anyways. As already mentioned - I'm hoping some day to get our first 2 videos re-released on DVD and then maybe I'll be able to re-insert this footage for a “Director's Cut.”
- What is the instrumental that is played between Metropolis pt.1 and Learning to Live on Once in a LIVEtime? faq id: 344
MP: Actually, it is a section that we wrote and was originally in the middle of "The Way It Used To Be." It was removed shortly after (before the demo was recorded), put on the shelf and then revived for this medley on the FII tour. [It's first live appearance actually was in the middle of Metropolis pt.1 at the Fix for 96 shows]
- Did Storm Thorgerson have anything to do with the presentation of the video on the Five Years in a LIVEtime video? faq id: 345
MP: No, he did the artwork for the package (which is the same as for Once in a LIVEtime) and that was the extent of his contributions to the video.