- Why did Mike switch from Tama Iron Cobra to DW pedals? Why does Mike sometimes use Iron Cobra bass pedals, if he endorses DW's bass pedals? faq id: 133
Answer: Mike didn't switch to DW (from Tama) until he switched to Mapex. While he was still playing the Tama Imperialstars, he used Tama Camco pedals. When he switched to Mapex, he didn't think their pedals were good enough, so he took an endorsement with DW. He did endorse DW pedals...but through the years he also used Iron Cobras for various recordings, clinics, videos, etc. Reason for that is: usually if he needed Tama to supply a kit for whatever reason, they supplied all of the hardware and pedals as well. Both are excellent pedals. As of 2002, he switched back to Tama Iron Cobras exclusively.
- What does Mike think of using drum racks? faq id: 137
MP: I wouldn't know how to set up my own drum set if you paid me, so I'm not the right man to ask. But yes, I will say that for Jose (my tech) - I think a rack system is incredibly helpful on tour every night. Especially for a kit of my size! Basically, everything is completely locked into place so from night to night every drum and cymbal is consistently in the same exact spot. Not to mention that there are 5 rack legs on the riser and that is it! (as opposed to 15 different cymbal stands with 3 legs each.) It much neater looking (which both Ho and myself are very anal about!)
- What kind of drum sticks does Mike use? faq id: 139
MP: I use my Pro Mark 420 autograph series sticks. The details of the stick can be found on their site....
- What is the significance of '420' on Mike's signature sticks? faq id: 140
Answer: April 20th is Mike's Birthday. No, he doesn't smoke pot anymore! ;)
- How did Mike get into using the nylon tip drumsticks? With the way Mike plays, are they as durable as wood tipped sticks? faq id: 142
MP: I've always liked the sound of nylon tips on the Ride and HiHats - a wooden tip always feels slightly dull to me. Pro Mark's tips are very strong and I never have problems with them slipping.
- During what songs does Mike use his crotales? faq id: 143
MP: They are used in several places throughout "A Change of Seasons" (both live and studio) as well as the intro of "New Millennium" and some of the live versions of "Another Day" & "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" (maybe a few other spots that are escaping me at the moment).